Sunday School Resources
What Are We Talking About?
Sunday School…small groups…life groups…or even a new name you might use.
We are talking about plans to reach people and teach the Bible for life transformation. Sunday School is the foundational strategy in a local church for leading people to faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, and for building on-mission Christians through open Bible study groups that engage people in evangelism, discipleship, ministry, fellowship, worship and prayer.
Bible teaching for life transformation is foundational. This sets the direction of the local church for reaching people and growing disciples. It is a strategy that takes lots of work, planning, prayer, patience and determination. It is a great strategy for evangelism and discipleship.
What Does the Pastor Have to Do with Sunday School?
The pastor is the leader, the primary player, the one who sets the pace for disciple building. He must take the lead and encourage the entire church to participate if the Bible teaching strategy of the church is to be successful. He must lead the Sunday School Planning Team (Council) to set goals and evaluate the Sunday School strategy to fulfill the biblical functions of disciple building.
What Is the Pastor’s Game Plan?
1. Provide overall leadership to the Sunday School Planning Team.
2. Lead the team in keeping the Sunday School focused on its purpose.
3. Give vital and visible support to Sunday School and its leaders.
4. Communicate the overall mission (purpose) and message of the Sunday School to the entire church.
5. Guide team members toward spiritual maturity and assist them in developing skills that enhance their ability to fulfill their responsibilities.
6. Set a positive example for others by living as an authentic witness of Christ and by full involvement in the life and ministry of the church.
7. The pastor and other leaders will give frequent opportunities for members who are not Christian to confess Christ publicly and will urge them to do so.
Chapter 1 – Vision
Chapter 2 – Why Build a Team
Chapter 3 – Outreach
Chapter 4 – Inreach
Chapter 5 – New Groups
Chapter 6 – Planning
Chapter 7 – Discovering and Enlisting Workers
Chapter 8 – Getting Started
Chapter 9 – Teaching a Good Lesson
Appendix 1 (.pdf)
Appendix 2 (.pdf)
Directing Sunday School with SKILL is designed to assist Sunday School leaders in making the best of their Sunday School classes. SKILL is designed to be a notebook with 5 different tabs:
Start Right, Keys to Growth, Ideas, Leadership Development, Leadership Resources.
Start Right Tab:
Keys to Growth Tab:
Ideas for Promotion Tab:
Leadership Development Tab: