Dear Alabama Baptists,
As you all know, we live in unprecedented times.
That is probably an understatement due to the efforts of governmental authorities and those in the field of medicine trying to stem the spread of the Coronavirus.
In response, many churches are currently meeting online only. Others are meeting in small groups in various locations or have suspended in-person meetings for now.
Your State Board of Missions (SBOM) has likewise made some tough but necessary decisions, effective immediately and at least through March 31:
- All SBOM-sponsored events are being postponed or canceled.
- All SBOM-related travel by state missionaries and other personnel is suspended.
- The SBOM Office Facility will close at 1 p.m. Monday, March 16. However, I do want to emphasize that state missionaries will still be working from their homes and available to Alabama Baptists for assisting with Great Commission ministries.
- Our office phones are being forwarded to our cell phones. Please continue to call, as needed, the phone numbers available at alsbom.org and in other online and printed materials.
- Although most employees are remotely deployed now (working from home), a few SBOM employees will still be working at our offices in Prattville, including Accounting Services personnel and a few others.
- During this time – although we won’t be traveling across the state – we will be available to Alabama Baptists by email, telephone, FaceTime, Skype, Zoom or conference calls.
- Updated resources will be posted regularly at alsbom.org/coronavirus. In addition to the latest information from the Centers for Disease Control, the site also has links to assist your congregation with matters including streaming worship services and online giving.
We earnestly want to serve the Alabama Baptist family in any way possible during this unique time in our nation.
Please know that we are praying especially for the 3,200-plus local congregations during these challenging times and even as sometimes very difficult decisions are made. Pray for us too as we serve our Lord by serving Alabama Baptists.
Remember, the God of Psalm 46 will be our refuge and strength, a very present help in these times of uncertainty.