The Student Minister is a part-time staff position at FBC Silverhill. The Student Minister will oversee the children, youth, and college-aged students within the Church. His role will be to develop a comprehensive program of education and biblical discipleship beginning with pre-K students through college-age young adults. The successful applicant will consult with the Senior Pastor, other staff members, Deacons, and various committees concerning activities, events, policies, procedures, and outreach that relate to their area of responsibility. The Student Minister position requires flexible hours that include evenings and weekends. The position is part-time and requires a 20-hour work week. It is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year.
• Born again Christian adhering to the doctrine of the Bible and dedicated to pursuing a daily walk with Jesus through the Word of God.
• Adhere to the Southern Baptist Faith and Message
• Act in a manner that represents and reflects the Character of Jesus Christ and as an example of such to the youth that he is responsible for
• High School Diploma is required.
• A college degree is preferred.
• A minimum of 1 year or more in a similar capacity is preferred. Additional years of experience will be taken into consideration over college education if applicable.
• Applicants must successfully pass a background check.
• Attend all regularly scheduled Church functions.
• Attend scheduled and called staff meetings. As Student Minister, the applicant is required to be the voice of those he ministers to in this role.
• Attend Quarterly business meetings and provide a written report. The expectation is that the Student Minister will provide a verbal report as well at the Quarterly Business Meeting. If he cannot attend, he must provide a delegate.
• Serve as chairman of the Youth Council.
• Work with the Pastor and Youth Council to plan and conduct special projects (camps and retreats) for youth programs and other groups the position oversees.
• Solicit volunteers from Church Members and parents to participate in all activities including but not limited to camp chaperones, outreach volunteers etc…
• Create, organize, communicate, and maintain a yearly calendar for all youth activities that this position oversees. This calendar should be shared with the Church Council and offer a one-year look ahead plan. This calendar shall be readily available upon request and communicated frequently throughout the year.
• Actively participate in local public and private schools for the Robertsdale Feeder Pattern. Additionally, reach out to homeschool association(s)
• Create an outreach presence in local extracurricular activities such as youth sports, FCA, band, city league camps, etc…
• Oversee community outreach programs for the surrounding area such as but not limited to Fall Festival, Easter Egg Hunt, Heritage Day, Local parades, etc…
• Coordinate youth camps, D-Now weekend, and various other activities. This includes parent involvement, camp selection, fundraising and Church wide communication.
• Develop service projects for youth to develop a deeper sense of sharing the Love of Christ with the community.
• Maintain all appropriate forms and paperwork associated with the student ministry. This can include but is not limited to deposits, purchases, release forms, camp registration, and similar.
Skills and Qualifications
• Applicants must be able to successfully organize fundraisers. Past fundraising experience preferred.
• Effective Public Speaking.
• Proficient communication skills such as social media, person-to-person, email, mobile apps, etc.…
• Organization is a must.
• Ability to fill in for Pastor during his absence in Pulpit. The applicant needs to be comfortable creating and delivering a sermon to the congregation when called upon.