FBC Huntsville, Alabama is seeking a full-time Minister of Music & Worship. For more information, please visit www.fbchsv.org/worshipsearch. Please submit resumes and examples of your worship leading via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are geographically located in the heart of downtown Huntsville with a heart for ministry to this city we call home. We are a dually-aligned church to SBC & CBF… often referring to ourselves as centrist Baptists.
The Minister of Music & Worship is part of the church’s ministerial team of 12 ministers and numerous administrative staff. Primary responsibilities include leadership of the traditional worship service, 100+ voice choir, 50+ orchestra, and various other choral groups within the church. This individual will work closely with the Associate Minister of Music and Organist in planning and administering many details of the church music ministry (a program which has 3 full-time ministers of music and several administrative staff, both full-time and part-time.
The church is affiliated with both the Cooperative Baptist Fellowship and the Southern Baptist Convention. Combined weekly attendance is typically around 1,100 with 700 in the traditional Sanctuary Worship and 400 in the contemporary First Fellowship Worship. Most recently, Palm Sunday combined was 1,150 and Easter Sunday was 1,649. The Sanctuary Choir regularly sings a wide variety of repertoire, including masterworks. Past concerts have included Mendelssohn’s Elijah as well as hymn festivals and presentations featuring bluegrass and big band music. The orchestra plays in services approximately every other week and youth and children’s choirs sing occasionally in worship.
The sanctuary houses an 80-rank, 4-manual Casavant organ completed in 1965, with several additions in recent years that include Trumpet En Chimade and 32’ Principal (with additional drawknob, tone generator and speakers). In the sanctuary are also two Steinway grand pianos, one in the Choir Loft area (9 foot) and the other on the floor level (baby grand). The chapel houses a 1970 Reuter organ (originally 8 ranks made into 31 stops) and two pianos (one a Yamaha baby grand on the platform). The church also owns two Boston pianos (one in the Choral Rehearsal room and the other regularly used by the Student Choir). The 48-bell carillon, completed in 1987, is housed in the steeple tower.
About our music program:
The FBC Music Ministries are one of the strengths in this healthy church. The music groups are broad, deep, and diverse, encompassing a fully graded ministry that includes programs for all ages (preschoolers through senior adult choir). A 50-piece church orchestra, contemporary worship bands for adults and students, and various concerts throughout the year are all part of the music program. In recent years the church has begun an Artists Series as well as regularly scheduled MasterClasses for singers and instrumentalists.
The church is very supportive of local community arts and is a member of the Huntsville Arts Council. FBC also hosts several arts groups onsite, including the Huntsville Community Chorus Association rehearsals, the Huntsville Youth Orchestra, and occasional concerts of the Huntsville Symphony Orchestra.
The Job Description:
The Minister of Music and Worship will serve the church by providing leadership in planning and conducting a ministry of music for worship, growth in Christian
discipleship, and proclamation of the gospel. The Minister of Music and Worship works under the supervision of the Senior Pastor in support of the church’s ministries and policies, and is to inform him on important matters.
The Minister of Music and Worship will develop specific annual objectives for accomplishing his/her work to carry out the vision, plans, and objectives of the church. This is a full time salaried position.
1. Works with the Senior Pastor and other ministerial staff as appropriate to plan and direct the worship services of the church. Assumes primary responsibility for
selecting hymns and other congregational music, responsive readings, litanies, and other liturgical materials, and solo, choral, and instrumental music to
enhance the experience of worship. Supervises the preparation and printing of the worship bulletin.
2. Plans, coordinates, and supervises a comprehensive ministry of music and music education for the entire church, including opportunities for individuals in the
church and community to grow in their appreciation and utilization of music for expression of Christian faith and personal expression of the gifts and talents God
has given them.
3. Supervises church music staff, including the Associate Minister of Music & Organist and other paid and volunteer workers. Works with the staff ministers
under his/her supervision to develop specific annual objectives for accomplishing their work to carry out the vision, plans, and objectives of the church. Conducts
quarterly conferences with the staff ministers under his/her supervision to assess their progress toward these objectives, and performs annual performance
4. Gives general direction to the elected volunteer leadership of the music ministry. Advises and assists in the enlistment of directors, officers, and leaders of choirs and music organizations, and serves as a resource person to enhance their ministries through suggesting methods to improve their effectiveness.
5. In close consultation with the Senior Pastor and other staff ministers, plans special programs of worship for celebrating the seasons of the Christian year,
i.e., Advent, Lent, Holy Week, Thanksgiving, etc. Plans and schedules performances by musical groups and soloists to enhance the ministry of the
6. Upon request, works with the Senior Pastor, other staff ministers and families in planning for weddings, funerals and special programs where music is a part.
7. Works with the assistance of the Music & Worship Committee in planning and implementing the music ministries of the church on an as needed basis.
8. Develops an annual budget for the music ministry of the church, in consultation with music staff ministers, the Music & Worship Committee, and music program leaders. Compiles budget information to submit to the Executive Pastor for presentation to the Finance Committee. Administers the approved budget in
accordance with church policies.
9. Assumes responsibility for input to various church publications regarding music ministry and special music programs and publications, as assigned.
10.Serves as an ex-officio member of various church committees as assigned by the Nominating Committee.
11. Assists in pastoral ministries as requested by the Senior Pastor. This may include teaching, crisis visitation, hospital visitation and funerals.
12.Responsible for Adherence to the Child Protection Policies of the church.
13.Performs other duties as assigned.
In addition to requirements listed in the Job Description, a minimum Bachelor of Music is needed.
Along with a resume, please send a minimum of three references and supplemental video links.
While there is no deadline to apply, resumes are currently being received and interviews will begin ASAP. The process will include interviews with the Minister of Music and Worship Search Committee followed by the church Personnel Committee recommending the candidate to the church for a vote.
Please visit www.fbchsv.org/worshipsearch.