North Shelby is a Southern Baptist Church that values tradition and is conservative in our theology while seeking to be liberal in our love to others for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are a growing multi-generational church, and we hold to the BFM 2000 as a summary of our beliefs and convictions. God has placed North Shelby amidst one of the fastest growing areas in the state of Alabama, and it is our desire to be a bright light for Him amidst our fast-growing community.
POSITION TITLE: CHILDREN’S MINISTER
LOCATION: North Shelby Baptist Church in Birmingham, AL
SALARY RANGE: Commensurate with experience
WEEKLY ATTENDANCE: 450
North Shelby Baptist Church seeks an experienced individual who shares our devotion to educating and inspiring the next generation of disciples of Christ in the knowledge of the Word of God, and who also motivates and unites the church in its desire to share the love of Jesus through missions and outreach. North Shelby is a Southern Baptist Church that values tradition and is conservative in our theology while seeking to be liberal in our love to others for the sake of the gospel of Jesus Christ. We are a growing multi-generational church, and we hold to the BFM 2000 as a summary of our beliefs and convictions. North Shelby was born out of a group of believers that started meeting together in 1992. This group, through much prayer, felt led to plant a church in Shelby County Alabama that would be traditional in style and conservative in its theological convictions. Since that time God has blessed North Shelby with resources and people to see that vision become a reality. God has placed North Shelby amidst one of the fastest growing areas in the state of Alabama, and it is our desire to be a bright light for Him amidst our fast-growing community.
The duties of the Children’s Minister will include:
1. Enlist and train all department directors in the preschool and children’s division and assist in enlisting and training department workers.
2. Give guidance and coordination through enlistment, education and motivation of the key leadership of preschool and children’s work.
3. Advise in the use of ministry materials, equipment, supplies and space for preschool and children’s groups in all church ministry organizations.
4. In concert with all church ministers, develop special training and education projects, such as camps, retreats or study seminars for preschool and children’s organizations.
5. Develop and implement ministries that promote and develop healthy growing relationships, Christ-like moral character, and sound doctrinal foundation in and through families.
6. Provide appropriate activities and training for parents.
STAFF & VOLUNTEER SUPPORT
7. Provide proactive, visionary leadership to the development and oversight of preschool and children’s directors and workers, and to prepare and recommend the children’s ministry’s long-range goals and annual budget needs for recommendation to the Finance Committee; then help administer the approved budget according to policy.
8. Direct and promote volunteer workers’ meetings as needed.
9. Partner with parents to provide appropriate activities and spiritual growth for children, and to foster their enthusiastic support of family ministry.
10. Establish and coordinate effective communication policies between all age-groups.
OUTREACH & EVANGELISM
11. Maintain an active ministry of personal witnessing and ministry.
12. Provide appropriate activities for special projects; cooperate with the music ministry in providing music activities for preschoolers and children.
13. Work closely with other staff members to coordinate and encourage a family focus in various outreach events.
14. Plan and implement special events such as seasonal events, summer activities and Vacation Bible School.
15. Oversee and ensure that appropriate safety and security procedures are in place and being followed.
16. Report to Senior Pastor and provide leadership in other duties as needs arise or as assigned by the Senior Pastor.
17. Serve as a member of the Executive Staff team, providing global leadership to the church in the areas of long-range planning and ministry coordination.
• Four-year degree from an accredited college/university; Southern Baptist preferred
• Southern Baptist Theological Seminary degree preferred but not required
• Church staff experience required
• Minimum of 3+ years’ experience in leadership of children’s ministries
• A genuine, Christ-like love for children of all ages and their families
• An example for families, staff and volunteers by being a model of personal integrity, discipleship, evangelism and genuine humility
• A humble, teachable spirit with excellent teaching as well as verbal and written communication skills
• Ability to recognize strengths in people and delegate and develop both volunteers and staff according to their strengths
• Self-motivated, with excellent administrative and organization skills