JD – Lead Pastor
As an under-shepherd of King Jesus, the Lead Pastor is responsible for the overall Spirit-led direction, vision, and mission of 12th Street Baptist Church. He is responsible to accurately and passionately proclaim the Word of God, to engage in and oversee caring for the church body, and to provide administrative leadership in all areas of church life, including ministry staff and all church employees.
The profile of a Lead Pastor should be a blend between people and task personality traits. He should also have the following spiritual gifts: preaching/teaching, leadership, administration, discernment, exhortation, and pastoring/shepherding.
Preaching & Teaching
- Accurately and passionately preach the Word of God and serve as a teacher of Scripture.
- Spend the necessary time in study and prayer to prepare for weekly worship services, Bible studies, prayer meetings, classes, and training.
- Messages should be authentic, relevant, Spirit-led, and the product of faithful, biblical exegesis.
- Oversee the corporate worship and prayer of the church.
- Demonstrate the ability to share the gospel with unbelievers and equip others to share the gospel.
- Be devoted to prayer for the congregation.
- Oversee meeting the spiritual needs of the congregation.
- Oversee pastoral care, ensuring appropriate and expedient care to those in personal crisis through visitation, counseling, and prayer, making professional referrals when necessary.
- Oversee the ordinances of the Lord’s Supper and baptism.
- Conduct counseling sessions, perform wedding ceremonies and conduct funerals as needed.
- Ensure the theological, philosophical, and vision alignment and health of all areas of the church.
- Continually engage in multi-level leadership development.
- Manage and evaluate the staff, working with the Staff Committee.
- Serve as chairman of the Church Council to lead in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, and evaluating the total program of the church.
- Work with deacons, church officers, and committees as they perform their assigned responsibilities.
- Serve as moderator of church business meetings.
- Cooperate with associational, state, and denominational leaders in matters of mutual interest and concern, keeping the church informed of denominational development, and represent the church in civic matters.
- Other duties as assigned by the Staff Committee or the Deacon Body.
- Ordained Minister
- Minimum of Masters Degree from a Southern Baptist Seminary (preferred). • Agreement with The Baptist Faith and Message (2000).
- Conservative Evangelical (so there is like-mindedness with the church).
- Experienced, full-time service in pastoral ministry. • Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Have an evident calling, quality training, and sincere passion to minister to the church.
- Have the ability to work efficiently and effectively with the staff and volunteers they enlist and equip to serve.
- Have good time management skills and organizational skills.
- Be a multi-tasker who can discern, analyze, and wisely resolve ministry issues.
- Be able to establish effective working relationships with others, with genuine love and concern.
- Have a core value of excellence.
- Be detail oriented, flexible, and decisive, with the ability to organize and coordinate work, set priorities, delegate, build consensus, and meet deadlines.
- Abide and adhere to the established policies and procedures of the church.
The Staff Committee and Deacon Body