Title: Family Life Pastor
Reports To: Lead Pastor
Direct Reports From: Children’s Ministry
College & Career
Summary of Position:
The Family Life Pastor is the advocate for the generations of the church and will oversee the structures and atmosphere of the church to ensure that the family of God is working together to make disciples of the next generation. He is first an advocate for the young (children, youth, and early adults) because these are the people who are least knowledgeable and least experienced in the Christian life. He is next an advocate for the parent of these young people because they are in the greatest position to influence the young. He is third concerned for other mature adults because they have an important role in the discipleship and mentoring of parents and young people, alike.
Areas of Responsibility
The Family Life Pastor will oversee the discipleship systems from cradle to college and to their parents. The Family Life Pastor will work closely with the adult discipleship leaders to ensure that parents are prepared to lead their children and that young people have spiritual mentors when their parent cannot be the model.
• Oversee relational, engaging ministries to children and youth.
• Ensure that the curriculum used at each level of spiritual development connects to the next.
• Ensure that ministry leaders connect regularly to the homes so parents experience a clear partnership in the discipleship of their children.
• Develop and expound a vision that leads to a focus on teaching Bible knowledge and demonstrating living Christian faith through the relational interaction between the pastor, other leaders and the young.
• Develop and implement a plan for ongoing parent training and encouragement.
• Oversee training that leads parents into a Biblical study to help them understand their roles and responsibilities.
• Coach parents and children privately on specific issues in their family.
• Encourage intergenerational gatherings to help the young and all generations to recognize how God is working in the whole family of God.
• Work with the Lead Pastor and other ministry teams to ensure that there are opportunities for all generations to worship, learn and serve together.
Equipping and Encouraging Parents
• Work with ministry leaders to bridge the gap between what children and youth are learning in their programs and what adults are learning in theirs.
• Guide ministry leaders in selecting or developing a curriculum that is cohesive from birth to adulthood and that is helps parents to complement the church learning with home learning.
• Develop channels of resources that allow the parents to lead in their home in such a way that corporate unity is maintained.
Church Wide Ministries
Work alongside the Lead Pastor to develop and implement church-wide mission and vision.
As needed or assigned to fill in teaching and preaching in the place of the Lead Pastor.
Visitation (home, hospital, evangelistic) in cooperation with the ministries of the church as assigned by the Lead Pastor.
Other duties as assigned by the Lead Pastor.