Birmingham Community Deaf Church has a long history among Deaf worshippers, serving the Deaf community in the Birmingham area since 1957 by providing a preaching service in American Sign Language (ASL).
Established at Woodlawn Baptist Church (now The Church at Liberty Park, Vestavia) by Neal Peyton, the church became an interpretation ministry, changing locations several times through the 1960s and 1970s.
In 1982, Deaf members from local Deaf ministries met together at McElwain Baptist Church, Birmingham, and agreed to start a Deaf church.
By 1989 the congregation had sent its first missionaries, Stan and Lynn Stepleton, to serve the Deaf in the Dominican Republic (…continued)
Deaf Church Meets Need for Interpretive was first posted on The Alabama Baptist Newspaper.